In the 1KA application in the 'EDIT' - 'Settings' - 'Basic info' tab you can customize language at three levels:
- You can set the basic language of 1KA applications for authors, you can choose between English and Slovene.
- You can set the basic language for respondents from the drop-down menu. This means that the standard words (eg. 'Next Page') are automatically translated into the selected language.
- Survey author also have additional options of language settings: by clicking on the 'Translations and advanced language settings’ you have additional options of language, where you can translate your basic questionnaire into different languages. In this case the data is stored into a single database, each language however has its own URL which can be separately promoted in different languages (eg. Countries). Optionally, respondents can also choose a language from the drop down menu at the beginning of the survey.
Support in terms of pre-prepared standard words (eg. Forward, backward, Introduction, etc.) is prepared for the following languages:
- for level 1 Slovenian and English language are supported,
- for level 2 and 3 practically all European languages (43 languages) are supported, for hebrew language right-to-left option is enabled.
1KA also supports all fonts (Cyrillic, Greek, Chinese, etc.), however in other languages standard words need to be manually set.
In group work (e.g. international projects) it is wise to use settings where partner organizations (or a translator) have access only to translations (but cannot ruin the basic questionnaire).
Translating questionnaires into different languages:
- By clicking on the 'Translations and advanced language settings’ a new window will open, where you can translate your basic questionnaire into different languages. To do this, use the drop-down list, select the language in which you want to translate the questionnaire, and then click the 'Add new language’. In a parallel window the basic version of the questionnaire will show as well as the version for translation. Parallel view allows you to easily translate the questionnaire.
- You can add multiple translations; each translation is then edited by clicking on the language that you want to edit in the ‘Additional language for respondents’ category.
- You can also specify whether the respondent can selects the language itself, or you specify it. In the event that the respondent chooses the language, you can send the same questionnaire to different target populations and the language choice will be the first question in the survey. Also, if respondent chooses the language, you can set the display format of the language question: you can choose between the radio button and dropdown menu.