Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
If you export the data from 1KA in the Excel format, this problem does not occur. In case you export the data in CSV format and then open it with Excel, opened answers may be incomplete.
This issue is due to the limitations of the Microsoft Excel software (version 2007 and newer versions), which can be resolved in a few steps.
1. The first steps has two options (if one fails, try the other):
- In the ‘DATA’ – ‘Export’ – ‘CVS’ tab, perform an export (the separation character should be set to a semicolon) and save the file to local disk.
- In the ‘DATA’ – ‘Export’ – ‘Text file’ tab, export the text file and save it to local disk.
2. Open MS Excel with a blank document.
3. In Excel, select the tab Data and click on the From text icon. Then find the data file that you transferred in step 1 on your computer and click Import.
4. Text import wizard will appear in a new window, which has three steps:
- In the Original data type tab, select the option Delimited. Continue to the next step by clicking Next.
- In the Delimiters tab, select only the semicolon. Proceed to the next step by clicking Next.
- In the Data preview tab, select all columns, by clicking on the first column, pressing shift, and then clicking on the last column. Set the design of the columns in the Column data format tab to Text. Click Finish.
5. A new window will appear, where you specify where you wish to import the data. Existing worksheet is set by default, which you confirm by clicking OK.
The data has now been imported into an empty Excel file in a way that does not limit the number of characters with open-ended questions.
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- Where does free help end?
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- How is the tool tested?
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- What about underage respondents?
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Export to text file
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Adding data (append)
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- 1KA registration and login
- Merging data
- Your first survey
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Computed values
- Insight into the respondents' answers
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- Export to SPSS
- Export to Excel
- Data updates (file vs. database)
- Manual coding
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- Automatic coding
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses