Basic principles of questionnaire design usually state the next characteristics that are used in the well-designed text of the question:
- Simple words should be used. Rare words, jargon words, technical expressions and foreign words should be avoided;
- Sentence structures should be as simple as possible;
- Questions should be specific and concrete;
- Answer options at one-dimensional questions should be comprehensive and mutually exclusive (eg. man/woman) without overlapping;
- Words and sentences with ambiguous meanings should be avoided;
- Negations and especially double negations should be avoided;
- There should be no leading questions.