I Am Experiencing Difficulties When Exporting My Data to SPSS Syntax
Exporting data to SPPS SYNTAX works correctly if we follow the instructions closely.
1. Issues due to the character encoding settings
With some versions of the programme (most commonly version 18), difficulties may arise: the command is not executed and the following error is displayed:
If this is the case, close all SPSS files and re-open the syntax. In the upper left-hand corner of the syntax section, click 'EDIT' - 'OPTIONS' - 'LANGUAGE'. In this window, you will find 'Character Encoding for Data and Syntax' and choose the 'UNICODE' option.
2. Unsuccessful SPSS database generating if the data and syntax files are not located in their default location
Look for the DATA LIST row in the open syntax file. To connect the syntax to the data, instead of entering 'C:\', enter the location of the file that contains the data (example: if we saved our data in the Transfers file within My Documents, we enter DATA LIST FILE=''C:\My Documents\Transfers\survey_data.txt'').
We can locate the exact location of the data file in the following way: open Windows Explorer, right-click on the data file in the menu and select Properties – Location, and enter its location in place of 'C:\'.
In case of any complications (eg- complex surveys with conditions, old versions of SPSS) we recommend you export data into Excel and then import it into SPSS. In this case, you will have to define variables yourself.
- Can I Exclude Unfinished Questionnaires From Survey Data?
- Why Are the Repondent’s Answers Lost in Case of ‘Step by Step Mode’ With Question Type ‘Table’ if Respondent Moves to the Previous Page?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- What Do Negative Values in the Survey Data Mean and Where Can I Set Them?
- Export to Excel: Why Does a Warning Window Always Pop up When I’m Exporting the File to Excel?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- Why Are Some of My Data Missing?
- How Can I Create a Quick List of Responses?
- Database Data Is Demolished, Values Are Not Correct or There Is No Data.
- What Is the Difference Between Coding and Recoding?
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- I Am Not Sure if All Units Are Included in the Analysis
- How to Properly Methodologically Set the Answers ‘Don’t Know’, ‘Invalid’, ‘None of the Above’ and ‘Refused’?
- Can I Export Only a Certain Set of Variables (And Not All of Them)?
- Viewing Respondents’ Answers: How to View Them in Questionnaire Form (Instead of a Table)?
- Why Can’t I Select ‘All Units’ When Overviewing Data?
- Export to Excel: Why Are Answers Incomplete When I Export the Data to Excel?
- Export to Excel: Why Is the Numeric Variable Exported as a ‘String’ or Text?
- How Do I Delete the Answers of One or More Respondents From the Data Table?
- Why Is the Question Numbering Not in Consecutive Order?
- How Do I Delete Data and Test Units After Testing?
- What Is the Difference Between a Computed Value and a Computation?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- Why Did Several Respondents From the Same IP Address Completed the Survey?
- I Am Experiencing Difficulties When Exporting My Data to SPSS Syntax
- Is the Survey Saved if the Respondent Does Not Answer a Certain Question?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- How Can I Find a Specific Record in the Data (Respondents Answers)?
- Is the Data Deleted From 1KA After I Export It?
- Can I Make Changes to a Survey After It Has Been Activated and Published?
- How Safe Is It to Store Data on 1KA?
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- Can I Restore Data I Accidentally Deleted?
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- How to Edit Answers Within the Data?
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- How to Obtain Data on Individual Surveys From the Summary (Sums)?
- Adding Data (Append)
- Measurement and Time Limitations for Responses
- Recommendations for Minimizing Non-response
- Data Updates (File vs. Database)
- Survey Data, Paradata, Identifiers, and System Variables
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- Export to SPSS
- Manual Coding
- Export to Excel
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Export to Text File
- Your First Survey
- Merging Data
- Public URL to View Data and Analysis
- Computed Values
- Automatic Coding
- Insight Into the Respondents’ Answers
- Settings for Exporting PDF/RTF Files With Responses
- Status of Units, Relevance, Validity and Missing Values