I Am Experiencing Difficulties When Exporting My Data to SPSS Syntax
Exporting data to SPPS SYNTAX works correctly if we follow the instructions closely.
1. Issues due to the character encoding settings
With some versions of the programme (most commonly version 18), difficulties may arise: the command is not executed and the following error is displayed:
If this is the case, close all SPSS files and re-open the syntax. In the upper left-hand corner of the syntax section, click 'EDIT' - 'OPTIONS' - 'LANGUAGE'. In this window, you will find 'Character Encoding for Data and Syntax' and choose the 'UNICODE' option.
2. Unsuccessful SPSS database generating if the data and syntax files are not located in their default location
Look for the DATA LIST row in the open syntax file. To connect the syntax to the data, instead of entering 'C:\', enter the location of the file that contains the data (example: if we saved our data in the Transfers file within My Documents, we enter DATA LIST FILE=''C:\My Documents\Transfers\survey_data.txt'').
We can locate the exact location of the data file in the following way: open Windows Explorer, right-click on the data file in the menu and select Properties – Location, and enter its location in place of 'C:\'.
In case of any complications (eg- complex surveys with conditions, old versions of SPSS) we recommend you export data into Excel and then import it into SPSS. In this case, you will have to define variables yourself.
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- How Safe Is It to Store Data on 1KA?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- Can I Exclude Unfinished Questionnaires From Survey Data?
- How to Edit Answers Within the Data?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- How to Properly Methodologically Set the Answers ‘Don’t Know’, ‘Invalid’, ‘None of the Above’ and ‘Refused’?
- How Can I Create a Quick List of Responses?
- I Am Experiencing Difficulties When Exporting My Data to SPSS Syntax
- Can I Export Only a Certain Set of Variables (And Not All of Them)?
- Viewing Respondents’ Answers: How to View Them in Questionnaire Form (Instead of a Table)?
- Export to Excel: Why Does a Warning Window Always Pop up When I’m Exporting the File to Excel?
- How Do I Delete Data and Test Units After Testing?
- Why Did Several Respondents From the Same IP Address Completed the Survey?
- I Am Not Sure if All Units Are Included in the Analysis
- How Do I Delete the Answers of One or More Respondents From the Data Table?
- Database Data Is Demolished, Values Are Not Correct or There Is No Data.
- Why Can’t I Select ‘All Units’ When Overviewing Data?
- What Is the Difference Between Coding and Recoding?
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- Can I Restore Data I Accidentally Deleted?
- Is the Survey Saved if the Respondent Does Not Answer a Certain Question?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- Export to Excel: Why Are Answers Incomplete When I Export the Data to Excel?
- What Is the Difference Between a Computed Value and a Computation?
- How to Obtain Data on Individual Surveys From the Summary (Sums)?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- Why Is the Question Numbering Not in Consecutive Order?
- Export to Excel: Why Is the Numeric Variable Exported as a ‘String’ or Text?
- What Do Negative Values in the Survey Data Mean and Where Can I Set Them?
- Why Are Some of My Data Missing?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- How Can I Find a Specific Record in the Data (Respondents Answers)?
- Can I Make Changes to a Survey After It Has Been Activated and Published?
- Is the Data Deleted From 1KA After I Export It?
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- Why Are the Repondent’s Answers Lost in Case of ‘Step by Step Mode’ With Question Type ‘Table’ if Respondent Moves to the Previous Page?
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- Manual Coding
- Public URL to View Data and Analysis
- Export to Excel
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- Data Updates (File vs. Database)
- Measurement and Time Limitations for Responses
- Export to SPSS
- Recommendations for Minimizing Non-response
- Your First Survey
- Settings for Exporting PDF/RTF Files With Responses
- Automatic Coding
- Computed Values
- Merging Data
- Status of Units, Relevance, Validity and Missing Values
- Insight Into the Respondents’ Answers
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Export to Text File
- Survey Data, Paradata, Identifiers, and System Variables
- Adding Data (Append)