Structuring Questions Into Blocks
In case of a larger number of questions (over 30), it is recommended that you structure questions into blocks, which will increase transparency and add structure to the questionnaire. The 1KA tool will notify you of this option when 30 or more questions have been used. Blocks are only available to 2KA and 3KA private package users.
You can add a block of questions ('B' icon) in the left sidebar menu in the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab:
- First, click on the ‘B’ icon to add the block and place it before the first question that you wish to include in the block;
- Drag the 'ENDBLOCK' sign and place it after the last question that you want to have in this block.
An example of a questionnaire that is structured into blocks can be found in the questionnaire library (section '1KA Questionnaire Templates' – Conditions and Filters', 'Structuring Into Blocks'). In order to see the example of blocks in practice, you have to be logged into the 1KA tool and then go to the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab. The structuring of questions is even more clearly visible if you use the option 'Display collapsed (one line) view', which is located in the left menu under 'Advanced editing settings'.
Displaying blocks in the form of tabs
When editing blocks you can choose the option ‘Block as a tab’. If this option is on, the respondent can navigate through the survey as usual (with a click on the ‘Next page’) or with clicking on blocks (tabs), which are displayed above. With a click on the individual block/tab, only questions in the selected tab will appear.
It is similar with editing the questionnaire. All questions are displayed if the 'ALL' option is selected and you can navigate through the questionnaire as usual. If you click on the specific tab/block (the list of blocks is displayed above all questions), only the questions in that particular block will appear.
Turn on the option of automatic question opening
If we organize the questions into blocks, we have the additional possibility to set the questions within the block so that they are automatically opened when the respondent answers the question. This means that when the respondent answers a question, it closes and automatically opens the next question. This applies to questions of type one answer. There are no automatic closing questions for other types of questions, but the respondent can arbitrarily open and close questions.
The automatic question opening can be arranged by placing the questions in a block and then on the right side under 'Question layout' select the option 'Expanding'.
Use of blocks to display the condensed sequence of (hierarchical) questions
Placement of questions ('Question layout') in blocks is by default 'standard'. In this case, the questions are lined one after another. In some cases when you want to display some sequential (hierarchical) questions you can choose a 'horizontal' question layout in blocks. The questions will narrow down and structure into columns. Every question will be set in its own column, horizontally, one after another.
Horizontal question layout is useful especially for sequential filtering of questions (drill-down), which are opened based on conditions.
Random sorting of questions in a block
In the block editing settings, random sorting of questions is available. That means that questions from this block are shown randomly to respondents. We can additionally indicate, how many questions should be displayed to respondents. For instance, random 5 questions from a block of 10 questions can be set to be shown to respondents.
Example: We have a quiz with 100 questions and we want to show 10 questions, out of 100 available, to each respondent.
- We add all questions from the left menu for adding questions;
- We add a block from the left menu before the first question we want to put into a block. Sign "ENDBLOCK" is dragged after the last question in the block;
- We click on the block settings and choose 'Questions' at 'Randomize block content';
- At 'Number of displayed questions' we choose 10.
Random 10 questions from the block of 100 questions will be shown to respondents.
Random sorting of several different blocks
In the event that the survey consists of a larger number of blocks, we have the option of randomly sorting multiple blocks in block editing settings.
Example: we have a survey with three different blocks for which we want to show randomly to the respondents.
- We put all questions from the left menu to add questions;
- Add a block from the left menu and drag it to the first question that you want to place in the block. Then drag the 'ENDBLOCK' tag to the last block question. Put together all the blocks;
- All questions (in all blocks) are placed in a new (main) block;
- Click on the editing of the block, and select 'Blocks' at 'Randomize block content'.
Randomizations of questions, answers, and blocks are also registered in the paradata in the ‘DATA’ – ‘Browse’, where each respondent is registered in the order in the order in which blocks, answers or questions were shown to him.
Caution: In case any of the above-described settings are enabled (horizontal question layout, random sorting of questions, block in the form of a tab), the block should not contain any page breaks.
- Is It Possible to Make a Copy of an Old Survey So That New Respondents Can Answer It?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- How Can I Personalize My Survey With a Custom Logo?
- Can I Change My Existing Email Address to Login to 1KA?
- How Do I Detect Logical and Technical Errors in the Questionnaire?
- Can I Create a Table in Which a Respondent Can Choose the Most and the Least Important Answer (Max-Diff Table)?
- Can I Alter the Design of an Individual Survey?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- Can Standard Words Be Altered?
- The Questionnaire Does Not Close (When Clicking the END Button) After Survey Completion
- Can I Set the Respondent to Edit His Answers?
- How Can I Set the Cell Alignment in the Table?
- When Exporting the Questionnaire in MS Word the Structure of the Questionnaire Changes
- Which Design Is the Most Suitable for Mobile Devices and Tablets?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- Why Are the Repondent’s Answers Lost in Case of ‘Step by Step Mode’ With Question Type ‘Table’ if Respondent Moves to the Previous Page?
- Can I Add a New Question After the Survey Is Already Active?
- Can I Make Changes to a Survey After It Has Been Activated and Published?
- Why Is the Question Numbering Not in Consecutive Order?
- How Long Should My Survey Be?
- How Can the Respondents Continue With the Survey at a Later Date?
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- How Do I Create a One-Click Log-in Confirmation in 1KA?
- When Is It Advisable to Use the Question Comments Function?
- For How Long Is the Survey Saved and for How Long Is It Active?
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- How to Set That a Chosen Website Is Opened to a Respondent After Completing Survey?
- How to Properly Methodologically Set the Answers ‘Don’t Know’, ‘Invalid’, ‘None of the Above’ and ‘Refused’?
- Can I Display Answers in Form of a Selection List?
- How Do I Change the Font Size in Questions and Answers?
- Why Is It Not Advisable to Copy Text?
- My Survey Disappeared
- Why Is the CAPTCHA Image Not Displayed?
- Can I Change the Name of the Variable With Predefined Demographic Variables?
- How Do I Set That Respondents Skip Certain Questions That Are Inappropriate for Them (Conditions)?
- Can Respondents Save or Print Their Answers?
- Why Is a New Question Always Placed at the Bottom of the Questionnaire and Why Do I Have to Move It up Manually?
- Where Can I Change the Language of the Survey and 1KA Application?
- Who Can Respond to My Survey?
- How to Set Default Values for Respondents?
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- How Do I Enable Spell Checking?
- Is It Possible to Create Several Different Versions of a Questionnaire, With Each Version Randomly Assigned to a Respondent?
- How Can I Use Missing Values in Conditions?
- Can I Modify the Introductory GDPR Question Text?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- How Do I Change the Question Type?
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- How Can I Add Another Survey Administrator?
- How Do I Customize the Format of the Survey to Be in Line With Our Organization?
- How Do I Prevent the Same Respondent From Participating in the Survey Multiple Times?
- How Do I Separate Different Sections of the Questionnaire With a Title or Introductory Question
- Can I Set a Quota for a Particular Question or Questionnaire (Restrictions on the Number of Respondents)?
- Changing the Size of Radio and Checkbox Buttons
- Verification of User’s Attention With the Use of a “Trap” Question
- Advanced Adding of Images as an Answer
- Step by Step Mode With Table Question Type
- Adding a New Language for the Standard Words
- Recommendations for Online Surveys on a Mobile Phone
- 1KA Settings for Email Notifications for Completed Surveys and Insight Into the Respondent’s Answers
- Additional Settings for the Introduction and Conclusion
- Combined Table
- Registration Form
- Your First Survey
- Using Library When Creating a Survey
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- Text (Type of Question)
- Insert Numerical Answers With Slider
- Satisficing in the Survey
- Recommendations for Questionnaire Creation
- Edit Response’s Values
- Measurement and Time Limitations for Responses
- Set Up of Drag and Drop Question Type
- The Use of Conditions
- Usage of ‘Location’ Question Type
- Survey Preview
- Classifying or Ranking
- Image Hotspot Question Type
- Electronic Signature
- Labelling a Question as Mandatory
- 'Take a Picture' Question Type
- Mobile Survey Adjustments
- Structuring Questions Into Blocks
- Using the IP Address and Cookies to Control Duplicate Entries
- Organizing Surveys in Folders
- Hiding Answers in Already Active Survey
- Settings for Exporting PDF/RTF Files With Responses
- How to Repeat the Tittle Bar in a Table
- Image Type of Question Layout
- Random Display of Survey Questions (Randomization)
- Inserting Images Into Your Questionnaire
- Settings for Respondent Access: Cookies and Passwords
- The Double Grid Table
- Import Text - Copying Text to 1KA
- GDPR Survey Settings
- Drill-Down: Sequential Filtering of Questions
- Survey Duration Based on Date or the Number of Responses
- Display the List of Open Answers in the Survey
- Survey Settings
- Accessibility of Surveys for People With Special Needs
- Data Display (Settings)
- Placing Answers on Stripe
- Key Features That an Advanced User Should Know
- Transferring Values From the Answer of One Question Into the Text of Another Question (Data Piping)
- Recommendations for Minimizing Non-response
- Setting up a Static First Page (Introduction)
- Including a Video or Flash Player in Your Survey
- Default Answer Labels
- E-mail (Type of Question)
- Adding Editorial Access on 1ka.arnes.si
- Tabs in the Questionnaire
- Semantic Differential
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Disabling the Question for Respondents
- Option to Hide Radio and Checkbox Buttons Next to Categories
- Standard Demographics
- Use of the Editor When Editing Questions
- 'Heatmap' Question
- Editing Options in the Question Taskbar
- Advanced Questionnaire Editing Settings
- Visual Analogue Scale
- Creating Sub-samples: Half of the Respondents Gets One Question, While the Other Half a Different Question
- Export (Survey Archive)
- Uploading a File
- Creating Respondent Groups
- System Variables in Conditions
- Different Ways to Display a Question for the Date
- Creating Groups of Respondents (4m 12s) [NEW]
- Basic Use of Conditions (3m) [NEW]
- Comments Settings (3m 19s) [NEW]
- Computations (5m 29s) [NEW]
- Standard Words Adjusting (2M 32S) [NEW]
- Loop (3m 48s) [NEW]
- Importing Text Into 1KA (2m 45s) [NEW]
- Survey Design (4M 54S) [NEW]
- Simple Survey (5m 25s) [NEW]
- Creating a Quiz (3m 22s) [NEW]
- Structuring Questionnaire Into Blocks (5M 14S) [NEW]
- 1KA Library Use (2m 52s) [NEW]
- 1KA Survey Import (1m 56s) [NEW]
- Copying the Survey (1m 39s) [NEW]
- Multilingual Survey (4m 13s) [NEW]
- Inserting Images (3m 23s) [NEW]
- GDPR Survey Settings (3M 43S) [NEW]
- Two-Factor Authentication (2m 13s) [NEW]
- Sequential Filtering of Questions (Drill-Down) (3m 43s) [NEW]
- Transfering Response Value (Data Piping) (2m 23s) [NEW]
- Survey Testing (5m 20s) [NEW]
- PDF and RTF Export Settings (3m 32s) [NEW]
- Entering Completed Questionnaires From Field Surveying (3m 25s) [NEW]