Structuring questions into blocks
In case of a larger number of questions (over 30), it is recommended that you structure questions into blocks, which will increase transparency and add structure to the questionnaire. The 1KA tool will notify you of this option when 30 or more questions have been used.
You can add a block of questions ('B' icon) in the left sidebar menu in the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab:
- First, click on the ‘B’ icon to add the block and place it before the first question that you wish to include in the block;
- Drag the 'ENDBLOCK' sign and place it after the last question that you want to have in this block.
An example of a questionnaire that is structured into blocks can be found in the questionnaire library (section '1KA Example questionnaires' – 'IF conditions templates', 'Example – Structuring into blocks'). In order to see the example of blocks in practice, you have to be logged into the 1KA tool and then go to the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab. Structuring of questions is even more clearly visible if you use the option 'Display collapsed (one line) view', which is located in the left menu under 'Advanced editing settings'.
Displaying blocks in the form of tabs
When editing blocks you can choose the option ‘Blocks as a tab’. If this option is on, the respondent can navigate through the survey as usual (with click on the ‘Next page’) or with clicking on blocks (tabs), which are displayed above. With a click on the individual block/tab, only questions in the selected tab will appear.
It is similar with editing the questionnaire. All questions are displayed if the 'ALL' option is selected and you can navigate through the questionnaire as usual. If you click on the specific tab/block (the list of blocks is displayed above all questions), only the questions in that particular block will appear.
Turn on the option of automatic question opening
If we organize the questions into blocks, we have the additional possibility to set the questions within the block so that they are automatically opened when the respondent answers the question. This means that when the respondent answers a question, it closes and automatically opens the next question. This applies to questions of type one answer. There are no automatic closing questions for other types of questions, but the respondent can arbitrarily open and close questions.
The automatic question opening can be arranged by placing the questions in a block and then on the right side under 'Question layout' select the option 'Expanding'.
Use of blocks to display the condensed sequence of (hierarchical) questions
Placement of questions ('Question layout') in blocks is by default 'standard'. In this case, the questions are lined one after another. In some cases when you want to display some of sequential (hierarchical) questions you can choose 'horizontal' question layout in blocks. The questions will narrow down and structure in columns. Every question will be set in their own column, horizontally, one after another.
Horizontal question layout is useful especially for sequential filtering of questions (drill-down), which are opened based on conditions.
Random sorting of questions in a block
In the block editing settings, random sorting of questions is available. That means that questions from this block are shown randomly to respondents. We can additionally indicate, how many questions should be displayed to respondents. For instance, random 5 questions from a block of 10 questions can be set to be shown to respondents.
Example: We have a quiz with 100 questions and we want to show 10 questions, out of 100 available, to each respondent.
- We add all questions from the left menu for adding questions;
- We add a block from the left menu before the first question we want to put into a block. Sign "ENDBLOCK" is dragged after the last question in the block;
- We click on the block settings and choose 'Questions' at 'Randomize block content';
- At 'Number of displayed questions' we choose 10.
Random 10 questions from the block of 100 questions will be shown to respondents.
Random sorting of several different blocks
In the event that the survey consists of a larger number of blocks, we have the option of randomly sorting multiple blocks in block editing settings.
Example: we have a survey with three different blocks for which we want to show randomly to the respondents.
- We put all questions from the left menu to add questions;
- Add a block from the left menu and drag to the first question that you want to place in the block. Then drag the 'ENDBLOCK' tag to the last block question. Put together all the blocks;
- All questions (in all blocks) are placed in a new (main) block;
- Click on the editing of the block, and select 'Blocks' at 'Randomize block content'.
Randomizations of questions, answers, and blocks are also registered in the paradata in the ‘DATA’ – ‘Browse’, where each respondent is registered in the order in the order in which blocks, answers or questions were shown to him.
Caution: In case any of the above-described setting is enabled (horizontal question layout, random sorting of questions, block in the form of a tab), the block should not contain any page breaks.
- Who can respond to my survey?
- Can respondents save or print their answers?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- Where can I change the language of the survey and 1KA application?
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- How do I enable spell checking?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Is it possible to create several different versions of a questionnaire, with each version randomly assigned to a respondent?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- Can I set the respondent to edit his answers?
- How do I change the question type?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- When exporting the questionnaire in MS Word the structure of the questionnaire changes
- Which design is the most suitable for mobile devices and tablets?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- Why is a new question always placed at the bottom of the questionnaire and why do I have to move it up manually?
- How do I set that respondents skip certain questions that are inappropriate for them (conditions)?
- Can I add a new question after the survey is already active?
- The questionnaire does not close (when clicking the END button) after survey completion
- How do I separate different sections of the questionnaire with a title or introductory question
- Can I change my existing email address to login to 1KA?
- How can the respondents continue with the survey at a later date?
- How do I detect logical and technical errors in the questionnaire?
- What about underage respondents?
- Can standard words be altered?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Can I alter the design of an individual survey?
- When is it advisable to use the question comments function?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- How can I set the cell alignment in the table?
- For how long is the survey saved and for how long is it active?
- Can I set a quota for a particular question or questionnaire (restrictions on the number of respondents)?
- How can I add another survey administrator?
- How long should my survey be?
- Where does free help end?
- Is it possible to make a copy of an old survey so that new respondents can answer it?
- My survey disappeared
- How do I change the font size in questions and answers?
- How to set that a chosen website is opened to a respondent after completing survey?
- How can I personalize my survey with a custom logo?
- Can I create a table in which a respondent can choose the most and the least important answer (Max-Diff table)?
- Can I change the name of the variable with predefined demographic variables?
- How to set default values for respondents?
- How do I prevent the same respondent from participating in the survey multiple times?
- Why is the CAPTCHA image not displayed?
- Can I display answers in form of a selection list?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- How is the tool tested?
- How can I use missing values in conditions?
- How do I customize the format of the survey to be in line with our organization?
- Why is it not advisable to copy text?
- How do I create a one-click log-in confirmation in 1KA?
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- Image type of question layout
- Adding editorial access on 1ka.arnes.si
- The double grid table
- Use of editor when editing questions
- Image Hotspot question type
- Setting up a static first page (introduction)
- Usage of 'location' question type
- Survey settings
- Advanced questionnaire editing settings
- Satisficing in the survey
- Visual Analogue Scale
- The use of conditions
- Structuring questions into blocks
- Data display (settings)
- Recommendations for questionnaire creation
- Edit response's values
- Advanced adding of images as an answer
- 'Heatmap' Question
- Tabs in the questionnaire
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Import text - copying text to 1KA
- Recommendations for online surveys on a mobile phone
- Mobile survey adjustments
- Display the list of open answers in the survey
- Your first survey
- Semantic differential
- E-mail (type of question)
- Export (Survey archive)
- Labelling a question as mandatory
- Hiding answers in already active survey
- Survey duration based on date or the number of responses
- Disabling the question for respondents
- Standard demographics
- System variables in conditions
- Verification of user’s attention with the use of a “trap” question
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Option to hide radio and checkbox buttons next to categories
- Transfering values from the answer of one question into the text of another question ( data piping)
- Survey preview
- Inserting images into your questionnaire
- 1KA registration and login
- Classifying or ranking
- Key features that an advanced user should know
- Set up of drag and drop question type
- Organizing surveys in folders
- Creating respondent groups
- Settings for respondent access: cookies and passwords
- Default answer labels
- Changing the size of radio and checkbox buttons
- Using the IP address and cookies to control duplicate entries
- Step by step mode with table question type
- Including a video or flash player in your survey
- Insert numerical answers with slider
- 1KA settings for email notifications for completed surveys and insight into the respondent's answers
- Accessibility of surveys for people with special needs
- 'Take a picture' question type
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Drill-down: sequential filtering of questions
- Editing options in the question taskbar
- Placing answers on stripe
- Electronic signature
- Combined table
- Different ways to display a question for the date
- Creating sub-samples: half of the respondents gets one question, while the other half a different question
- GDPR survey settings
- How to repeat the tittle bar in a table
- Registration form
- Additional settings for the introduction and conclusion
- Text (type of question)