Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
By default, the 'DATA' - 'Browse' tab only displays survey data (respondents' answers) for valid units.
By selecting the 'All units' option, or if certain units are attached to an email invitation, the following categories will be displayed:
- validity: shows if an individual unit is valid; units with the status 5 and 6 (i.e. fully or partially completed questionnaires) are also considered to be valid;
- empty: shows if the questionnaire is empty (the respondent merely clicked through the survey without answering);
- invitation: if an invitation was sent to the individual unit;
- status: the final status of the units.
In special cases you can also enable display of the following properties, by clicking on the relevant checkbox in the 'Data table settings':
- date of survey completion;
- record number of the entry, which is generated automatically.
If automatic entries were also in use, a column 'Test' will automatically appear, which tells you which of the individual units were test units.
You can enable the display of paradata by clicking on the relevant checkbox in the 'Data table settings', which displays the following information:
- record number of the entry (recnum);
- date of survey completion;
- input time to millisecond precision (unx_ins_date);
- date of any corrections made to the survey;
- date of entry of each page of the survey;
- which browser the respondent used;
- operational system used by respondents' device;
- which device was used by the respondent (computer, mobile phone, tablet);
- the referral page that brought the respondent to the survey page;
- which language the respondent used to complete the survey (in case of multi-lingual surveys).
All of the aforementioned elements are displayed in the right-hand columns, apart from the record number. If these elements are not visible, you must choose 'All' in the 'Questions' dropdown menu.
Identifiers are data that are imported and edited in the 'PUBLISH' - 'Invitations' tab, and usually include name, surname, email, address, etc. In order to protect the privacy of such data, it must be displayed in surveys separately from survey data. A joint review, analysis, and export is only possible with prior consent in the 'Form' type (one-page survey), in which registration information, not opinions, are collected.
Identifiers belong to the group of system variables which can be used in e-mail communication, i.e. in notifications or e-mail invites; at the same time, identifiers allow identification of each unit. When editing a questionnaire, in addition to the identifiers for the system variable, any variable can be marked (we select the 'System variable' in the 'Advanced' tab when editing individual questions), which enables its use in email communication.
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- How is the tool tested?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- My survey has very few responses (N)
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- What about underage respondents?
- Where does free help end?
- Your first survey
- Setting up a static first page (introduction)
- Quality index (reminder tracking)
- The response rate
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Detailed computations of questionnaire usability
- Criteria for usable respondents
- 1KA registration and login
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- Interruptions (BETA)
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- Using the IP address and cookies to control duplicate entries