The 1KA application allows you to recode numerical and categorical variable values (i.e. you can change their value) in the 'DATA' – 'Computations' – 'Recoding' tab.
The following recoding functions are available:
- Add – opens a window for adding variables, which allows you to change the old value into a new value;
- Edit – displays a window that allows you to edit the recoding of individual variables;
- Remove – allows you to remove or completely delete the recoding of individual variables;
- Enabled – Enables or disables the recoding of individual variables;
- Visible – allows you to set the variable as either visible or hidden in the questionnaire.
A list of recoded values, according to variables, can be found at the bottom of the table by clicking on the 'Run compute for all computed variables' button.
Recoding into the same variable:
- for example, all the answers with the values 2 and 3 are recoded into a different value (e.g. 11) of the same variable;
- or defined as missing values, e.g. if the respondent did not provide an answer (-1).
Recoding into a new variable
- You can recode specific answers of a chosen variable into new values, for example old variable values Q1 (e.g. 1 and 2) are given new values (e.g. 12) only in the Q2 variable;
- When recoding into a new variable, values can also be defined as missing values;
- A similar recoding can be performed with categorical variables, for example: you can change Q1 with a 1-5 scale into Q2 with a scale of 1-3. You recode values 1 and 2 of the Q1 variable into value 1 of the Q2 variable (low); you recode value 3 of the Q1 variable into value 2 of the Q2 variable (medium); you recode values 4 and 5 of the Q1 variable into value 3 of the Q2 variable (high). Such a transformation can also be carried out by means of a calculation: Q2 = 1/2 + 1/2*Q1, in which case the Q3 variable will naturally still have five values, but on an interval of 1-3.
For each variable that has been added to the recoding list, you can generate sum frequencies, additional frequencies, descriptive statistics and basic frequencies. These can be later printed or exported in PDF, Word or Excel formats.
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- How is the tool tested?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- What about underage respondents?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- Where does free help end?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- Export to SPSS
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Export to Excel
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Automatic coding
- Computed values
- Data updates (file vs. database)
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Insight into the respondents' answers
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Export to text file
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- 1KA registration and login
- Your first survey
- Manual coding
- Adding data (append)
- Merging data