The 1KA application allows you to recode numerical and categorical variable values (i.e. you can change their value) in the 'DATA' – 'Computations' – 'Recoding' tab. Recoding is only available to 3KA private package users.
The following recoding functions are available:
- Add – opens a window for adding variables, which allows you to change the old value into a new value;
- Edit – displays a window that allows you to edit the recoding of individual variables;
- Remove – allows you to remove or completely delete the recoding of individual variables;
- Enabled – Enables or disables the recoding of individual variables;
- Visible – allows you to set the variable as either visible or hidden in the questionnaire.
A list of recoded values, according to variables, can be found at the bottom of the table by clicking on the 'Run compute for all computed variables' button.
Recoding into the same variable:
- for example, all the answers with the values 2 and 3 are recoded into a different value (e.g. 11) of the same variable;
- or defined as missing values, e.g. if the respondent did not provide an answer (-1).
Recoding into a new variable
- You can recode specific answers of a chosen variable into new values, for example old variable values Q1 (e.g. 1 and 2) are given new values (e.g. 12) only in the Q2 variable;
- When recoding into a new variable, values can also be defined as missing values;
- A similar recoding can be performed with categorical variables, for example: you can change Q1 with a 1-5 scale into Q2 with a scale of 1-3. You recode values 1 and 2 of the Q1 variable into value 1 of the Q2 variable (low); you recode value 3 of the Q1 variable into value 2 of the Q2 variable (medium); you recode values 4 and 5 of the Q1 variable into value 3 of the Q2 variable (high). Such a transformation can also be carried out by means of a calculation: Q2 = 1/2 + 1/2*Q1, in which case the Q3 variable will naturally still have five values, but on an interval of 1-3.
For each variable that has been added to the recoding list, you can generate sum frequencies, additional frequencies, descriptive statistics and basic frequencies. These can be later printed or exported in PDF, Word or Excel formats.
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- Database Data Is Demolished, Values Are Not Correct or There Is No Data.
- How Can I Create a Quick List of Responses?
- How to Properly Methodologically Set the Answers ‘Don’t Know’, ‘Invalid’, ‘None of the Above’ and ‘Refused’?
- Can I Exclude Unfinished Questionnaires From Survey Data?
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- Is the Data Deleted From 1KA After I Export It?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- I Am Experiencing Difficulties When Exporting My Data to SPSS Syntax
- What Do Negative Values in the Survey Data Mean and Where Can I Set Them?
- Can I Make Changes to a Survey After It Has Been Activated and Published?
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- How Safe Is It to Store Data on 1KA?
- Export to Excel: Why Does a Warning Window Always Pop up When I’m Exporting the File to Excel?
- Is the Survey Saved if the Respondent Does Not Answer a Certain Question?
- Why Are Some of My Data Missing?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- What Is the Difference Between a Computed Value and a Computation?
- I Am Not Sure if All Units Are Included in the Analysis
- Export to Excel: Why Is the Numeric Variable Exported as a ‘String’ or Text?
- How Can I Find a Specific Record in the Data (Respondents Answers)?
- Why Can’t I Select ‘All Units’ When Overviewing Data?
- Can I Export Only a Certain Set of Variables (And Not All of Them)?
- Why Did Several Respondents From the Same IP Address Completed the Survey?
- How Do I Delete the Answers of One or More Respondents From the Data Table?
- How Do I Delete Data and Test Units After Testing?
- How to Obtain Data on Individual Surveys From the Summary (Sums)?
- Why Are the Repondent’s Answers Lost in Case of ‘Step by Step Mode’ With Question Type ‘Table’ if Respondent Moves to the Previous Page?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- Viewing Respondents’ Answers: How to View Them in Questionnaire Form (Instead of a Table)?
- Export to Excel: Why Are Answers Incomplete When I Export the Data to Excel?
- How to Edit Answers Within the Data?
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- Why Is the Question Numbering Not in Consecutive Order?
- Can I Restore Data I Accidentally Deleted?
- What Is the Difference Between Coding and Recoding?
- Export to Excel
- Insight Into the Respondents’ Answers
- Merging Data
- Automatic Coding
- Public URL to View Data and Analysis
- Survey Data, Paradata, Identifiers, and System Variables
- Settings for Exporting PDF/RTF Files With Responses
- Manual Coding
- Export to Text File
- Recommendations for Minimizing Non-response
- Computed Values
- Data Updates (File vs. Database)
- Adding Data (Append)
- Your First Survey
- Status of Units, Relevance, Validity and Missing Values
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Measurement and Time Limitations for Responses
- Export to SPSS