The 1KA application allows you to recode numerical and categorical variable values (i.e. you can change their value) in the 'DATA' – 'Computations' – 'Recoding' tab.
The following recoding functions are available:
- Add – opens a window for adding variables, which allows you to change the old value into a new value;
- Edit – displays a window that allows you to edit the recoding of individual variables;
- Remove – allows you to remove or completely delete the recoding of individual variables;
- Enabled – Enables or disables the recoding of individual variables;
- Visible – allows you to set the variable as either visible or hidden in the questionnaire.
A list of recoded values, according to variables, can be found at the bottom of the table by clicking on the 'Run compute for all computed variables' button.
Recoding into the same variable:
- for example, all the answers with the values 2 and 3 are recoded into a different value (e.g. 11) of the same variable;
- or defined as missing values, e.g. if the respondent did not provide an answer (-1).
Recoding into a new variable
- You can recode specific answers of a chosen variable into new values, for example old variable values Q1 (e.g. 1 and 2) are given new values (e.g. 12) only in the Q2 variable;
- When recoding into a new variable, values can also be defined as missing values;
- A similar recoding can be performed with categorical variables, for example: you can change Q1 with a 1-5 scale into Q2 with a scale of 1-3. You recode values 1 and 2 of the Q1 variable into value 1 of the Q2 variable (low); you recode value 3 of the Q1 variable into value 2 of the Q2 variable (medium); you recode values 4 and 5 of the Q1 variable into value 3 of the Q2 variable (high). Such a transformation can also be carried out by means of a calculation: Q2 = 1/2 + 1/2*Q1, in which case the Q3 variable will naturally still have five values, but on an interval of 1-3.
For each variable that has been added to the recoding list, you can generate sum frequencies, additional frequencies, descriptive statistics and basic frequencies. These can be later printed or exported in PDF, Word or Excel formats.
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- What about underage respondents?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- How is the tool tested?
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- Where does free help end?
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Adding data (append)
- Export to SPSS
- Your first survey
- Insight into the respondents' answers
- Export to text file
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Data updates (file vs. database)
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- 1KA registration and login
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Merging data
- Automatic coding
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Computed values
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Manual coding
- Export to Excel
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses