The 1KA application allows you to recode numerical and categorical variable values (i.e. you can change their value) in the 'DATA' – 'Computations' – 'Recoding' tab.
The following recoding functions are available:
- Add – opens a window for adding variables, which allows you to change the old value into a new value;
- Edit – displays a window that allows you to edit the recoding of individual variables;
- Remove – allows you to remove or completely delete the recoding of individual variables;
- Enabled – Enables or disables the recoding of individual variables;
- Visible – allows you to set the variable as either visible or hidden in the questionnaire.
A list of recoded values, according to variables, can be found at the bottom of the table by clicking on the 'Run compute for all computed variables' button.
Recoding into the same variable:
- for example, all the answers with the values 2 and 3 are recoded into a different value (e.g. 11) of the same variable;
- or defined as missing values, e.g. if the respondent did not provide an answer (-1).
Recoding into a new variable
- You can recode specific answers of a chosen variable into new values, for example old variable values Q1 (e.g. 1 and 2) are given new values (e.g. 12) only in the Q2 variable;
- When recoding into a new variable, values can also be defined as missing values;
- A similar recoding can be performed with categorical variables, for example: you can change Q1 with a 1-5 scale into Q2 with a scale of 1-3. You recode values 1 and 2 of the Q1 variable into value 1 of the Q2 variable (low); you recode value 3 of the Q1 variable into value 2 of the Q2 variable (medium); you recode values 4 and 5 of the Q1 variable into value 3 of the Q2 variable (high). Such a transformation can also be carried out by means of a calculation: Q2 = 1/2 + 1/2*Q1, in which case the Q3 variable will naturally still have five values, but on an interval of 1-3.
For each variable that has been added to the recoding list, you can generate sum frequencies, additional frequencies, descriptive statistics and basic frequencies. These can be later printed or exported in PDF, Word or Excel formats.
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- How is the tool tested?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- What about underage respondents?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- Where does free help end?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- Manual coding
- Merging data
- Insight into the respondents' answers
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Data updates (file vs. database)
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Automatic coding
- Export to Excel
- Export to text file
- Adding data (append)
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- 1KA registration and login
- Export to SPSS
- Your first survey
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- Computed values