Principles of 1KA public library use
1. What are limitations of using questionnaires in 1KA public library? Can anyone copy and use whole questionnaire, any part of questionnaire or questions?
Questions in 1KA public library are usually meant for all registered users of 1KA for non-commercial use, but it is advisable to check for source and if there are certain special limitations, before use. Principle of »Fair use« is usually applied if source doesn’t specify special limitation.
Website 1KA forwards questionnaires and questions as examples of good practice and established measurement instruments. At all questionnaires sources of questionnaires are cited according to scientific practice. It is also especially written if a certain questionnaire has some special limitation or copy right. If no limitations are stated in questionnaire source, questionnaire can be used for all purposes.
From users it is expected that they properly state which parts of their questionnaires are taken from public library.
For commercial use it is necessary to additionally check for copy rights at sources from which questionnaire was taken. That is also advisable for all cases.
2. What does “fair use” principle mean?
“Fair use” principle allows use, copying and reproduction of copy right protected works for educational or research purposes except if it is expressively stated otherwise. In any case it is necessary to correctly state the author and source.
3. How should user cite questionnaire aquaired in 1KA public library?
Generally it is expected from a user to expressively cite primary source in a way that author and location of source access can be recognized by everyone. A user can cite in the same way as the source is cited in 1KA public library – source should be cited if whole or only part questionnaire is used. APA standard is used on The Faculty of social sciences. We recommend directly checking at the owner of copy rights if the owner has certain rules of citation.
Example of original citation of 1KA questionnaire:
1KA. 2015. Obrazec za članstvo. Available at: https://www.1ka.si/admin/survey/index.ph (2 july 2015).
Example of citing questionnaire from data archive:
Hafner Fink, Mitja, Brina Malnar, Slavko Kurdija, Samo Uhan in Janez Štebe. Slovensko javno mnenje 2013: Mednarodna raziskava Nacionalna identiteta, mednarodna raziskava Razumevanje vloge državljana in Ogledalo javnega mnenja [datoteke kodirne knjige]. Slovenija, Ljubljana: Univerza v Ljubljani, Center za raziskovanje javnega mnenja in množičnih komunikacij [izdelava], 2013. Slovenija, Ljubljana: Univerza v Ljubljani, Arhiv družboslovnih podatkov [distribucija], 2014. Available at: http://www.adp.fdv.uni-lj.si/opisi/sjm13 (2 July 2015).
Example of citing questionnaire from scientific publication:
Diener, Ed, Robert A. Emmons, Randy J. Larsen in Sharon Griffin. 1985. The Satisfaction with Life Scale. Journal of Personality Assessment 49(1): 71-75.
Example of citing questionnaire from web:
Ninamedia. 2015. Vox populi. Available at: http://www.ninamedia.si/arhiv.php (2 July 2015).
4. Is 1KA legally responsible for use of questionnaires from other organisation that does not cite sources of questionnaire or does so incorrectly?
From a legal point of view this problem is very complicated. If some other organisation forwards questions without any information about copy rights, then most of the responsibility must be taken by this other organisation. Generally owner of copy rights can claim anyone that did not correctly cite his copyrighted work.
It is also necessary to point out that the legal area of intellectual property can be overseen differently in different countries. Regulation of intellectualproperty of measurement instruments and its findings is also quite murky from the legal perspective. Therefore we advise that when facing a dilemma concerning use of work that is not yours, contact owner of the copy rights.
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- Does 1KA application allow offline surveys on a laptop PC or USB flash drive?
- Why can't I log in?
- For how long is the survey saved and for how long is it active?
- Can I change my existing email address to login to 1KA?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Why is the CAPTCHA image not displayed?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- How many surveys have been created using 1KA and how many users does the application have?
- Why is my registration or login password invalid?
- We have problems with installing 1KA on our own server
- How do I detect logical and technical errors in the questionnaire?
- Which browser should I choose when creating a survey?
- What about underage respondents?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- I signed up via FB and now I don't have my surveys
- Where can I change the language of the survey and 1KA application?
- Can I import a questionnaire into 1KA?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- Why are the pages not displayed correctly and why is the content overlapping?
- Frequently asked questions about private, business and AAI use of 1KA tool
- Can you help me design my survey?
- Where does free help end?
- How do you ensure personal data protection? What bounds you not to disclose personal data to third parties?
- What information should I include when I publish a report?
- Why don't I receive a confirmation e-mail after registration?
- How is the tool tested?
- Who can access and edit my survey and data?
- Who develops 1KA and why?
- Can I request the removal of a survey?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- The most common mistakes and recommendations in the creation of online surveys
- Accessibility of surveys for people with special needs
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Recommendation in case of 1KA tool upgrade
- Principles of 1KA public library use
- 1KA registration and login
- Recommendations for online surveys on a mobile phone
- Key features that an advanced user should know
- Your first survey
- Reporting a survey that violates the General Terms and Conditions of 1KA online surveying tool