Principles of 1KA Public Library Use
1. What are the limitations of using questionnaires in the 1KA public library? Can anyone copy and use the whole questionnaire, any part of the questionnaire or questions?
Questions in 1KA public library are usually meant for all registered users of 1KA for non-commercial use, but it is advisable to check for the source and if there are certain special limitations, before use. The principle of »Fair use« is usually applied if the source doesn’t specify a special limitation.
Website 1KA forwards questionnaires and questions as examples of good practice and established measurement instruments. At all questionnaires sources of questionnaires are cited according to scientific practice. It is also especially written if a certain questionnaire has some special limitation or copyright. If no limitations are stated in the questionnaire source, the questionnaire can be used for all purposes.
From users, it is expected that they properly state which parts of their questionnaires are taken from the public library.
For commercial use, it is necessary to additionally check for copyrights at sources from which the questionnaire was taken. That is also advisable for all cases.
2. What does the “fair use” principle mean?
The “Fair use” principle allows the use, copying and reproduction of copyright-protected works for educational or research purposes except if it is expressively stated otherwise. In any case, it is necessary to correctly state the author and source.
3. How should users cite questionnaires acquired in 1KA public library?
Generally, it is expected from a user to expressively cite the primary source in a way that the author and location of source access can be recognized by everyone. A user can cite in the same way as the source is cited in 1KA public library – the source should be cited if the whole or only part questionnaire is used. APA standard is used in The Faculty of social sciences. We recommend directly checking at the owner of copyrights if the owner has certain rules of citation.
Example of original citation of 1KA questionnaire:
1KA. 2015. Membership Form. Retrieved from https://www.1ka.si/a/47855 (2 July 2015).
Example of citing questionnaire from data archive:
Hafner Fink, Mitja, Brina Malnar, Slavko Kurdija, Samo Uhan in Janez Štebe. Slovensko javno mnenje 2013: Mednarodna raziskava Nacionalna identiteta, mednarodna raziskava Razumevanje vloge državljana in Ogledalo javnega mnenja [datoteke kodirne knjige]. Slovenija, Ljubljana: Univerza v Ljubljani, Center za raziskovanje javnega mnenja in množičnih komunikacij [izdelava], 2013. Slovenija, Ljubljana: Univerza v Ljubljani, Arhiv družboslovnih podatkov [distribucija], 2014. Retrieved from http://www.adp.fdv.uni-lj.si/opisi/sjm13 (2 July 2015).
Example of citing questionnaire from scientific publication:
Diener, Ed, Robert A. Emmons, Randy J. Larsen, & Sharon Griffin. 1985. The Satisfaction with Life Scale. Journal of Personality Assessment 49(1): 71-75.
Example of citing questionnaire from the web:
Ninamedia. 2015. Vox populi. Retrieved from http://www.ninamedia.si/arhiv.php (2 July 2015).
4. Is 1KA legally responsible for use of questionnaires from other organisation that does not cite sources of questionnaire or does so incorrectly?
From a legal point of view, this problem is very complicated. If some other organisation forwards questions without any information about copyrights, then most of the responsibility must be taken by this other organisation. Generally, the owner of copyrights can claim anyone that did not correctly cite his copyrighted work.
It is also necessary to point out that the legal area of intellectual property can be overseen differently in different countries. Regulation of intellectual property of measurement instruments and its findings is also quite murky from the legal perspective. Therefore we advise that when facing a dilemma concerning the use of work that is not yours, contact the owner of the copyrights.
- Who Develops 1KA and Why?
- Can I Change My Existing Email Address to Login to 1KA?
- Can I Request the Removal of a Survey?
- Does 1KA Application Allow Offline Surveys on a Laptop PC or USB Flash Drive?
- Why Don’t I Receive a Confirmation E-mail After Registration?
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- Why Is the CAPTCHA Image Not Displayed?
- Why Can’t I Log In?
- Which Browser Should I Choose When Creating a Survey?
- How Many Surveys Have Been Created Using 1KA and How Many Users Does the Application Have?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- What Information Should I Include When I Publish a Report?
- How Do You Ensure Personal Data Protection? What Bounds You Not to Disclose Personal Data to Third Parties?
- I Signed up via FB and Now I Don’t Have My Surveys
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Private, Business and AAI Use of 1KA Tool
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- Who Can Access and Edit My Survey and Data?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- Can You Help Me Design My Survey?
- Why Is My Registration or Login Password Invalid?
- How Do I Detect Logical and Technical Errors in the Questionnaire?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- For How Long Is the Survey Saved and for How Long Is It Active?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- Why Are the Pages Not Displayed Correctly and Why Is the Content Overlapping?
- Can I Import a Questionnaire Into 1KA?
- Can I Modify the Introductory GDPR Question Text?
- Where Can I Change the Language of the Survey and 1KA Application?
- How Safe Is It to Store Data on 1KA?
- We Have Problems With Installing 1KA on Our Own Server
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- Reporting a Survey That Violates the General Terms and Conditions of 1KA Online Surveying Tool
- The Most Common Mistakes and Recommendations in the Creation of Online Surveys
- Sending Invitations via 1KA SMTP E-mail System, via Gmail Server or Gmail User Account
- Organization of Virtual Domains
- Accessibility of Surveys for People With Special Needs
- Principles of 1KA Public Library Use
- Recommendation in Case of 1KA Tool Upgrade
- Troubleshooting Logging in to www.1KA.en With a Facebook or E-mail Account
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Your First Survey
- Key Features That an Advanced User Should Know
- Recommendations for Online Surveys on a Mobile Phone
- Computations (5m 29s) [NEW]
- PDF and RTF Export Settings (3m 32s) [NEW]
- Basic Use of Conditions (3m) [NEW]
- Multilingual Survey (4m 13s) [NEW]
- Loop (3m 48s) [NEW]
- Structuring Questionnaire Into Blocks (5M 14S) [NEW]
- Copying the Survey (1m 39s) [NEW]
- GDPR Survey Settings (3M 43S) [NEW]
- GDPR Settings for Editors (4M 13S) [NEW]
- Standard Words Adjusting (2M 32S) [NEW]
- Importing Text Into 1KA (2m 45s) [NEW]
- 1KA Library Use (2m 52s) [NEW]
- Simple Survey (5m 25s) [NEW]
- Creating a Quiz (3m 22s) [NEW]
- Filtering and Exporting Data in SPSS, XLS and CSV (5m 08s) [NEW]
- 1KA Survey Import (1m 56s) [NEW]
- Sequential Filtering of Questions (Drill-Down) (3m 43s) [NEW]
- Survey Design (4M 54S) [NEW]
- Two-Factor Authentication (2m 13s) [NEW]
- Entering Completed Questionnaires From Field Surveying (3m 25s) [NEW]
- Creating Groups of Respondents (4m 12s) [NEW]
- Random Groups of Respondents (3m 22s) [NEW]