Mobile Survey Adjustments
An online survey created using the 1KA tool can also be answered by respondents via a mobile phone. Due to the smaller screen, certain adjustments are required to optimize the survey. For more advanced and new types of questions, or more advanced layouts of basic types of questions (such as image hotspot, slider, combined table, etc.), it may occur on mobile devices to have some offsets or opacity. In this case, we recommend using the basic types of questions and / basic layout questions.
Features in mobile phone adjustments
Category - single answer and category - multiple answers (basic vertical layout)
The basic questions, category - single answer, and category - multiple answers, are generally not problematic and are shown in the survey on a mobile device in such a way that they enable the survey to be completed normally. This applies to the following layouts: vertical, vertical - left text, drop-down menu, select from the list, image type.
For both question types and different layouts, the entire answer box is coloured when you click/tap on the selected answer (the entire box is also clickable).
Category - single answer and category - multiple answers (other layouts)
For one-answer and multiple-answer questions, layouts are also available that may appear unmanageable on mobile devices, so the layout selected on mobile devices is ignored and the question is displayed in a normal layout (vertical). This applies to the following layouts: horizontal beside the question, horizontal under the question, drag-drop.
Table type question and all subtypes and table type question setups are automatically displayed on mobile devices as a set of basic question types. For example, if we have a question table - single answer with 5 different sub-questions, the question will appear on mobile devices in the form of a set of 5 consecutive questions of category type - single answer.
You can also display tables in the form of automatic expanding in the tab 'EDIT' - 'Settings' - 'Mobile settings'.
Customization of the double grid table question type
For the question type 'Double grid table', the answers on the mobile phone appear as a series of questions of category type - single answer. For the sake of transparency, there is a horizontal continuous line between the individual answers on the cellphone and a dashed line between the individual tables.
Example of a survey with question type double grid table (mobile preview) >> (for comparison, see how layout types look on the web version of the survey)
Display of the table where mobile customizations are off
If you turn off mobile customizations (see the last paragraph), you can also view the spreadsheet on mobile devices in the same format as the web, or use any of the step-by-step questions.
When editing advanced question types and different table layouts, in the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab, to the right of the 'Advanced' tab, there is the 'Step by step mode' option. If you select 'NO', the question will be automatically adjusted as a consecutive series of questions of category type - single answer (or multiple answers) when answering by mobile phone.
There are 6 different types of Step by step completing that you can see at the link below.
Input questions (text and number)
On a mobile phone, questions with an input field (question types 'text' and 'number'), buttons for questions of type roulette and selection list are automatically adjusted to 100% screen width.
Drag and drop question
You can choose the drag-and-drop layout for different types of questions: category single answer, multiple answers, table. For single or multiple-choice questions, the drag-and-drop layout automatically adjusts to the default vertical layout when completing the survey via mobile. Table type question - Drag-and-drop layout appears on your mobile device as a classic (mobile-friendly) question.
Questions with pictures
By default, if you have images in the survey, they are displayed by default when responding to the survey via a mobile device, and they are adjusted to occupy 80% of the screen width.
Question with inserted video
If you inserted a video in the questionnaire, the width of the video will adjust automatically on 100% of the width of the mobile device. Respondents will be able to see the full video, no matter the width of the device they’re using for filling out the questionnaire.
Hiding radio and checkbox buttons
With the type of questions such as 'Category – single answer' and 'Category – multiple answers' there is an extra option 'Hide radio button' or 'Hide checkbox button' in the 'Advanced' tab. Functionality is recommended for mobile devices, especially when you're using pictures for answers. In this case, you can hide these buttons (radio or checkbox buttons), respondents which will be filling out the questionnaire on their mobile device will be able to select pictures as an answer with the tap on it. It will be easier for them to choose the answer, as it would be selecting the 'checkbox' or 'radio' button, where you have to be more precise.
Adjusting the size of the radio and checkbox buttons
With question types 'Category - single answer' and 'Category - multiple answers' additional options of changing the size of radio and checkbox buttons are available to 2KA and 3KA private package users. These options can be accessed in the tab 'EDIT' - 'Design' - 'Theme modification', under 'Custom icons', 'Icons size'. Minimum size of buttons is 18 x 18 px and maximum size is 55 x 55 px. We especially recommend the use of this feature when designing surveys for mobile devices.
Preview for mobile phone and tablet
You can use the preview to see how the survey will appear on different types of devices (computers, mobile phones or tablets). In addition to a basic PC preview, you have an option of a survey preview for mobile phones and tablets. More >>
The option for switching off the adjustments for mobile devices
All of the mentioned adjustments are automatically turned on; this way we can allow the optimal display of the questionnaire to those who use their mobile devices. In tab 'EDIT' – 'Settings' – 'Mobile settings' you can change these adjustments, which we dissuade. When you turn off the mobile adjustments the crossed-out mobile phone icon will appear in the menu line on the upper right corner (beside the icon for turning on comments in the questionnaire).
In case when 'Mobile friendly' display is turned on, you can separately turn off the display of images on mobile phones (if your questionnaire contains pictures that are not suitable for mobile devices) and adjust tables on the mobile phones.
- How Can I Personalize My Survey With a Custom Logo?
- Which Design Is the Most Suitable for Mobile Devices and Tablets?
- How Can the Respondents Continue With the Survey at a Later Date?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- Can I Create a Table in Which a Respondent Can Choose the Most and the Least Important Answer (Max-Diff Table)?
- Can I Change My Existing Email Address to Login to 1KA?
- How to Set That a Chosen Website Is Opened to a Respondent After Completing Survey?
- Can Respondents Save or Print Their Answers?
- Can I Set the Respondent to Edit His Answers?
- My Survey Disappeared
- Where Can I Change the Language of the Survey and 1KA Application?
- Why Are the Repondent’s Answers Lost in Case of ‘Step by Step Mode’ With Question Type ‘Table’ if Respondent Moves to the Previous Page?
- How to Set Default Values for Respondents?
- Can I Set a Quota for a Particular Question or Questionnaire (Restrictions on the Number of Respondents)?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- Can Standard Words Be Altered?
- How Can I Set the Cell Alignment in the Table?
- Is It Possible to Create Several Different Versions of a Questionnaire, With Each Version Randomly Assigned to a Respondent?
- Can I Alter the Design of an Individual Survey?
- How Do I Separate Different Sections of the Questionnaire With a Title or Introductory Question
- When Exporting the Questionnaire in MS Word the Structure of the Questionnaire Changes
- Who Can Respond to My Survey?
- How Do I Prevent the Same Respondent From Participating in the Survey Multiple Times?
- Is It Possible to Make a Copy of an Old Survey So That New Respondents Can Answer It?
- Can I Modify the Introductory GDPR Question Text?
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- How Do I Set That Respondents Skip Certain Questions That Are Inappropriate for Them (Conditions)?
- Why Is the CAPTCHA Image Not Displayed?
- How Do I Create a One-Click Log-in Confirmation in 1KA?
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- Can I Add a New Question After the Survey Is Already Active?
- Why Is It Not Advisable to Copy Text?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- When Is It Advisable to Use the Question Comments Function?
- How to Properly Methodologically Set the Answers ‘Don’t Know’, ‘Invalid’, ‘None of the Above’ and ‘Refused’?
- The Questionnaire Does Not Close (When Clicking the END Button) After Survey Completion
- Can I Change the Name of the Variable With Predefined Demographic Variables?
- How Do I Customize the Format of the Survey to Be in Line With Our Organization?
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- How Do I Change the Question Type?
- How Long Should My Survey Be?
- For How Long Is the Survey Saved and for How Long Is It Active?
- Can I Display Answers in Form of a Selection List?
- How Can I Add Another Survey Administrator?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- How Do I Detect Logical and Technical Errors in the Questionnaire?
- How Do I Change the Font Size in Questions and Answers?
- Why Is the Question Numbering Not in Consecutive Order?
- Why Is a New Question Always Placed at the Bottom of the Questionnaire and Why Do I Have to Move It up Manually?
- How Can I Use Missing Values in Conditions?
- Can I Make Changes to a Survey After It Has Been Activated and Published?
- How Do I Enable Spell Checking?
- Recommendations for Online Surveys on a Mobile Phone
- Visual Analogue Scale
- Survey Settings
- Image Hotspot Question Type
- Random Display of Survey Questions (Randomization)
- Using the IP Address and Cookies to Control Duplicate Entries
- Settings for Exporting PDF/RTF Files With Responses
- Disabling the Question for Respondents
- 'Take a Picture' Question Type
- Use of the Editor When Editing Questions
- Your First Survey
- Default Answer Labels
- Settings for Respondent Access: Cookies and Passwords
- Recommendations for Minimizing Non-response
- Creating Respondent Groups
- System Variables in Conditions
- Accessibility of Surveys for People With Special Needs
- Including a Video or Flash Player in Your Survey
- 'Heatmap' Question
- Inserting Images Into Your Questionnaire
- Step by Step Mode With Table Question Type
- How to Repeat the Title Bar in a Table
- E-mail (Type of Question)
- Import Text - Copying Text to 1KA
- Advanced Questionnaire Editing Settings
- Tabs in the Questionnaire
- Classifying or Ranking
- Additional Settings for the Introduction and Conclusion
- Using Library When Creating a Survey
- 1KA Settings for Email Notifications for Completed Surveys and Insight Into the Respondent’s Answers
- Structuring Questions Into Blocks
- Organizing Surveys in Folders
- Combined Table
- Placing Answers on Stripe
- Labelling a Question as Mandatory
- Recommendations for Questionnaire Creation
- Export (Survey Archive)
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- Editing Options in the Question Taskbar
- Measurement and Time Limitations for Responses
- Different Ways to Display a Question for the Date
- Usage of ‘Location’ Question Type
- Display the List of Open Answers in the Survey
- Registration Form
- GDPR Survey Settings
- Edit Response’s Values
- Insert Numerical Answers With Slider
- Changing the Size of Radio and Checkbox Buttons
- Survey Preview
- Setting up a Static First Page (Introduction)
- The Use of Conditions
- Key Features That an Advanced User Should Know
- Advanced Adding of Images as an Answer
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Standard Demographics
- Survey Duration Based on Date or the Number of Responses
- Semantic Differential
- Verification of User’s Attention With the Use of a “Trap” Question
- Drill-Down: Sequential Filtering of Questions
- Data Display (Settings)
- Mobile Survey Adjustments
- Image Type of Question Layout
- Option to Hide Radio and Checkbox Buttons Next to Categories
- Creating Sub-samples: Half of the Respondents Gets One Question, While the Other Half a Different Question
- Electronic Signature
- Uploading a File
- The Double Grid Table
- Adding a New Language for the Standard Words
- Set Up of Drag and Drop Question Type
- Adding Editorial Access on 1ka.arnes.si
- Satisficing in the Survey
- Hiding Answers in Already Active Survey
- Text (Type of Question)
- Transferring Values From the Answer of One Question Into the Text of Another Question (Data Piping)
- GDPR Survey Settings (3M 43S) [NEW]
- Simple Survey (5m 25s) [NEW]
- Creating Groups of Respondents (4m 12s) [NEW]
- Basic Use of Conditions (3m) [NEW]
- Comments Settings (3m 19s) [NEW]
- Transfering Response Value (Data Piping) (2m 23s) [NEW]
- Two-Factor Authentication (2m 13s) [NEW]
- 1KA Survey Import (1m 56s) [NEW]
- Survey Design (4M 54S) [NEW]
- Multilingual Survey (4m 13s) [NEW]
- Inserting Images (3m 23s) [NEW]
- Entering Completed Questionnaires From Field Surveying (3m 25s) [NEW]
- Importing Text Into 1KA (2m 45s) [NEW]
- Loop (3m 48s) [NEW]
- Copying the Survey (1m 39s) [NEW]
- Standard Words Adjusting (2M 32S) [NEW]
- Survey Testing (5m 20s) [NEW]
- Sequential Filtering of Questions (Drill-Down) (3m 43s) [NEW]
- 1KA Library Use (2m 52s) [NEW]
- PDF and RTF Export Settings (3m 32s) [NEW]
- Creating a Quiz (3m 22s) [NEW]
- Computations (5m 29s) [NEW]
- Structuring Questionnaire Into Blocks (5M 14S) [NEW]