Mobile survey adjustments
An online survey created using the 1KA tool can also be answered by respondents via a mobile phone. Due to the smaller screen, certain adjustments are required to optimize the survey. For more advanced and new types of questions, or more advanced layouts of basic types of questions (such as image hotspot, slider, combined table, etc.), it may occur on mobile devices to have some offsets or opacity. In this case, we recommend using the basic types of questions and / basic layout questions.
Features in mobile phone adjustments
Category one answer and category - multiple answers (basic vertical layout)
The basic questions category one answer, category multiple answers are generally not problematic and are shown in the survey on a mobile device in such a way that they enable the survey to be completed normally. This applies to the following layouts: vertical, vertical - left text, drop-down menu, select from the list, image type.
For both question types and different layouts, the entire answer box is colored when you click / tap on the selected answer (the entire box is also clickable).
Category one answer and category - multiple answers (other layouts)
For one-answer and multiple-answer questions, layouts are also available that may appear unmanageable on mobile devices, so the layout selected on mobile devices is ignored and the question is displayed in a normal layout (vertical). This applies to the following layouts: horizontal beside the question, horizontal under the question, drag-drop.
Table type question and all subtypes and table type question setups are automatically displayed on mobile devices as a set of basic question types. For example, if we have a question table - one answer with 5 different sub-questions, the question will appear on mobile devices in the form of a set of 5 consecutive questions of category type - one answer.
You can also display tables in the form of automatic spreading in the tab 'EDIT' - 'Settings' - 'Mobile settings'.
Customization of the double table type question
For the type of questions 'Table one answer' - 'Double table', the answers on the mobile phone appear as a series of questions of category type - one answer. For the sake of transparency, there is a horizontal continuous line between the individual answers on the cellphone and a dashed line between the individual tables.
Example of a survey with question type double table (mobile preview) >> (for comparison, see how layout types look on the web version of the survey)
Display of the table when mobile customizations are off
If you turn off mobile customizations (see the last paragraph), you can also view the spreadsheet on mobile devices in the same format as the web, or use any of the step-by-step questions.
When editing advanced question types and different table layouts, in the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab, to the right of the 'Advanced' tab, the 'Gradual Resolve' option. If you select 'NO', the question will be automatically adjusted as a consecutive series of questions of category type - one answer (or multiple answers) when answering by mobile phone.
There are also 6 different types of gradual solving that you can see at the link below.
Input questions (text and number)
On a mobile phone, questions with an input field (question types 'text' and 'number'), buttons for questions of type roulette and selection list are automatically adjusted to 100% screen width.
Drag and drop question
You can choose the drag-and-drop layout for different types of questions: category one answer, multiple answers, table. For single or multiple-choice questions, the drag-and-drop layout automatically adjusts to the default vertical layout when completing the survey via mobile. Table type question - Drag-and-drop layout appears on your mobile device as a classic (mobile-friendly) question.
Questions with pictures
By default, if you have images in the survey, they are displayed by default when responding to the survey via a mobile device, and they are adjusted to occupy 80% of the screen width.
Adjusting questions with inserted video
If you inserted video in the questionnaire, the width of the video will adjust automatically on the 100% of the width of the mobile device. Respondents will be able to see the full video, no matter the width of their device they’re using for filling out the questionnaire.
Hiding radio and checkbox buttons
With the type of questions such as 'Category – single answer' and 'Category – multiple answers' there is an extra option 'Hide radio button' or 'Hide checkbox button' in the 'Advanced' tab. Functionality is recommended for mobile devices, especially when you're using pictures for answers. In this case, you can hide these buttons (radio or checkbox buttons), respondents which will be filling out the questionnaire on their mobile device will be able to select pictures as an answer with the tap on it. It will be easier for them to choose the answer, as it would be selecting the 'checkbox' or 'radio' button, where you have to be more precise.
Adjusting the size of the radio and checkbox buttons
With question types 'Category - single answer' and 'Category - multiple answers' additional options of changing the size of radio and checkbox buttons are available. These options can be accessed in the tab 'Editing' - 'Design' where in the roulette there is an option 'Selection of checkbox and radio buttons'. Minimum size of buttons if 18 x 18 px and maximum size is 55 x 55 px. We especially recommend the use of this feature when designing surveys for mobile devices.
Preview for mobile phone and tablet
You can use the preview to see how the survey will appear on different types of devices (computers, mobile phones or tablets). In addition to basic preview for PC preview, you also have an option to preview survey for mobile phone and tablet. More >>
Possibility to switch off the adjustments for mobile devices
All of the mentioned adjustments are automatically turned on; this way we can allow the optimal display of the questionnaire to those who use their mobile devices. In tab 'EDIT' – 'Settings' – 'Mobile settings' you can change these adjustments, which we dissuade. When you turn off the mobile adjustments the icon of crossed out the mobile phone will appear in the menu line on the upper right corner (beside the icon for turning on comments in the questionnaire).
I case when 'Mobile-friendly' is turned on, you can separately turn off the display of images on mobile phones (if your questionnaire contains pictures that are not suited for mobile devices) and adjust tables on the mobile phones.
- Why is the CAPTCHA image not displayed?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Can I change my existing email address to login to 1KA?
- How can I add another survey administrator?
- How do I prevent the same respondent from participating in the survey multiple times?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Why is it not advisable to copy text?
- How do I change the font size in questions and answers?
- Can I create a table in which a respondent can choose the most and the least important answer (Max-Diff table)?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- How do I separate different sections of the questionnaire with a title or introductory question
- The questionnaire does not close (when clicking the END button) after survey completion
- Can I change the name of the variable with predefined demographic variables?
- How do I set that respondents skip certain questions that are inappropriate for them (conditions)?
- Why is a new question always placed at the bottom of the questionnaire and why do I have to move it up manually?
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- Which design is the most suitable for mobile devices and tablets?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- Can I set a quota for a particular question or questionnaire (restrictions on the number of respondents)?
- Who can respond to my survey?
- How can I use missing values in conditions?
- Is it possible to make a copy of an old survey so that new respondents can answer it?
- How can I set the cell alignment in the table?
- Where does free help end?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- How do I change the question type?
- How do I create a one-click log-in confirmation in 1KA?
- Where can I change the language of the survey and 1KA application?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- Can I alter the design of an individual survey?
- How is the tool tested?
- Can I display answers in form of a selection list?
- Is it possible to create several different versions of a questionnaire, with each version randomly assigned to a respondent?
- Can I add a new question after the survey is already active?
- How do I customize the format of the survey to be in line with our organization?
- How long should my survey be?
- Can I set the respondent to edit his answers?
- Can respondents save or print their answers?
- What about underage respondents?
- When exporting the questionnaire in MS Word the structure of the questionnaire changes
- My survey disappeared
- How do I enable spell checking?
- Can standard words be altered?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- How to set default values for respondents?
- How to set that a chosen website is opened to a respondent after completing survey?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- How do I detect logical and technical errors in the questionnaire?
- For how long is the survey saved and for how long is it active?
- How can I personalize my survey with a custom logo?
- How can the respondents continue with the survey at a later date?
- When is it advisable to use the question comments function?
- Key features that an advanced user should know
- Adding a new language for the standard words
- Visual Analogue Scale
- Drill-down: sequential filtering of questions
- Import text - copying text to 1KA
- Image type of question layout
- Registration form
- Use of editor when editing questions
- Electronic signature
- Different ways to display a question for the date
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Verification of user’s attention with the use of a “trap” question
- Adding editorial access on 1ka.arnes.si
- Default answer labels
- Edit response's values
- Additional settings for the introduction and conclusion
- 'Take a picture' question type
- Transfering values from the answer of one question into the text of another question ( data piping)
- Accessibility of surveys for people with special needs
- System variables in conditions
- Labelling a question as mandatory
- Creating respondent groups
- Settings for respondent access: cookies and passwords
- Structuring questions into blocks
- Option to hide radio and checkbox buttons next to categories
- E-mail (type of question)
- Survey settings
- Setting up a static first page (introduction)
- Creating sub-samples: half of the respondents gets one question, while the other half a different question
- Recommendations for online surveys on a mobile phone
- GDPR survey settings
- Advanced questionnaire editing settings
- Using the IP address and cookies to control duplicate entries
- Placing answers on stripe
- Display the list of open answers in the survey
- Advanced adding of images as an answer
- Hiding answers in already active survey
- Step by step mode with table question type
- Your first survey
- Satisficing in the survey
- Inserting images into your questionnaire
- Changing the size of radio and checkbox buttons
- Standard demographics
- Survey duration based on date or the number of responses
- Mobile survey adjustments
- Tabs in the questionnaire
- Disabling the question for respondents
- How to repeat the tittle bar in a table
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- 'Heatmap' Question
- Editing options in the question taskbar
- Data display (settings)
- Survey preview
- 1KA settings for email notifications for completed surveys and insight into the respondent's answers
- Set up of drag and drop question type
- Insert numerical answers with slider
- Text (type of question)
- Uploading a file
- Classifying or ranking
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Recommendations for questionnaire creation
- The double grid table
- Including a video or flash player in your survey
- Combined table
- 1KA registration and login
- Semantic differential
- Export (Survey archive)
- The use of conditions
- Organizing surveys in folders
- Image Hotspot question type
- Usage of 'location' question type
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- Structuring questionnaire into blocks (5M 14S) [NEW]
- Simple survey (5m 25s) [NEW]
- Survey testing (5m 20s) [NEW]
- PDF and RTF export settings (3m 32s) [NEW]
- Transfering response value (data piping) (2m 23s) [NEW]
- Comments settings (3m 19s) [NEW]
- Importing text into 1KA (2m 45s) [NEW]
- Inserting images (3m 23s) [NEW]
- Loop (3m 48s) [NEW]
- Creating groups of respondents (4m 12s) [NEW]
- Computations (5m 29s) [NEW]
- Copying the survey (1m 39s) [NEW]
- 1KA library use (2m 52s) [NEW]
- Standard words adjusting (2M 32S) [NEW]
- Sequential filtering of questions (drill-down) (3m 43s) [NEW]
- GDPR survey settings (3M 43S) [NEW]
- Multilingual survey (4m 13s) [NEW]
- Basic use of conditions (3m) [NEW]
- Entering completed questionnaires from field surveying (3m 25s) [NEW]
- Two-factor authentication (2m 13s) [NEW]
- Creating a quiz (3m 22s) [NEW]
- 1KA survey import (1m 56s) [NEW]
- Survey design (4M 54S) [NEW]