Mobile Survey Adjustments
An online survey created using the 1KA tool can also be answered by respondents via a mobile phone. Due to the smaller screen, certain adjustments are required to optimize the survey. For more advanced and new types of questions, or more advanced layouts of basic types of questions (such as image hotspot, slider, combined table, etc.), it may occur on mobile devices to have some offsets or opacity. In this case, we recommend using the basic types of questions and / basic layout questions.
Features in mobile phone adjustments
Category - single answer and category - multiple answers (basic vertical layout)
The basic questions, category - single answer, and category - multiple answers, are generally not problematic and are shown in the survey on a mobile device in such a way that they enable the survey to be completed normally. This applies to the following layouts: vertical, vertical - left text, drop-down menu, select from the list, image type.
For both question types and different layouts, the entire answer box is coloured when you click/tap on the selected answer (the entire box is also clickable).
Category - single answer and category - multiple answers (other layouts)
For one-answer and multiple-answer questions, layouts are also available that may appear unmanageable on mobile devices, so the layout selected on mobile devices is ignored and the question is displayed in a normal layout (vertical). This applies to the following layouts: horizontal beside the question, horizontal under the question, drag-drop.
Table type question and all subtypes and table type question setups are automatically displayed on mobile devices as a set of basic question types. For example, if we have a question table - single answer with 5 different sub-questions, the question will appear on mobile devices in the form of a set of 5 consecutive questions of category type - single answer.
You can also display tables in the form of automatic expanding in the tab 'EDIT' - 'Settings' - 'Mobile settings'.
Customization of the double grid table question type
For the question type 'Double grid table', the answers on the mobile phone appear as a series of questions of category type - single answer. For the sake of transparency, there is a horizontal continuous line between the individual answers on the cellphone and a dashed line between the individual tables.
Example of a survey with question type double grid table (mobile preview) >> (for comparison, see how layout types look on the web version of the survey)
Display of the table where mobile customizations are off
If you turn off mobile customizations (see the last paragraph), you can also view the spreadsheet on mobile devices in the same format as the web, or use any of the step-by-step questions.
When editing advanced question types and different table layouts, in the 'EDIT' - 'Questionnaire' tab, to the right of the 'Advanced' tab, there is the 'Step by step mode' option. If you select 'NO', the question will be automatically adjusted as a consecutive series of questions of category type - single answer (or multiple answers) when answering by mobile phone.
There are 6 different types of Step by step completing that you can see at the link below.
Input questions (text and number)
On a mobile phone, questions with an input field (question types 'text' and 'number'), buttons for questions of type roulette and selection list are automatically adjusted to 100% screen width.
Drag and drop question
You can choose the drag-and-drop layout for different types of questions: category single answer, multiple answers, table. For single or multiple-choice questions, the drag-and-drop layout automatically adjusts to the default vertical layout when completing the survey via mobile. Table type question - Drag-and-drop layout appears on your mobile device as a classic (mobile-friendly) question.
Questions with pictures
By default, if you have images in the survey, they are displayed by default when responding to the survey via a mobile device, and they are adjusted to occupy 80% of the screen width.
Question with inserted video
If you inserted a video in the questionnaire, the width of the video will adjust automatically on 100% of the width of the mobile device. Respondents will be able to see the full video, no matter the width of the device they’re using for filling out the questionnaire.
Hiding radio and checkbox buttons
With the type of questions such as 'Category – single answer' and 'Category – multiple answers' there is an extra option 'Hide radio button' or 'Hide checkbox button' in the 'Advanced' tab. Functionality is recommended for mobile devices, especially when you're using pictures for answers. In this case, you can hide these buttons (radio or checkbox buttons), respondents which will be filling out the questionnaire on their mobile device will be able to select pictures as an answer with the tap on it. It will be easier for them to choose the answer, as it would be selecting the 'checkbox' or 'radio' button, where you have to be more precise.
Adjusting the size of the radio and checkbox buttons
With question types 'Category - single answer' and 'Category - multiple answers' additional options of changing the size of radio and checkbox buttons are available to 2KA and 3KA private package users. These options can be accessed in the tab 'EDIT' - 'Design' - 'Theme modification', under 'Custom icons', 'Icons size'. Minimum size of buttons is 18 x 18 px and maximum size is 55 x 55 px. We especially recommend the use of this feature when designing surveys for mobile devices.
Preview for mobile phone and tablet
You can use the preview to see how the survey will appear on different types of devices (computers, mobile phones or tablets). In addition to a basic PC preview, you have an option of a survey preview for mobile phones and tablets. More >>
The option for switching off the adjustments for mobile devices
All of the mentioned adjustments are automatically turned on; this way we can allow the optimal display of the questionnaire to those who use their mobile devices. In tab 'EDIT' – 'Settings' – 'Mobile settings' you can change these adjustments, which we dissuade. When you turn off the mobile adjustments the crossed-out mobile phone icon will appear in the menu line on the upper right corner (beside the icon for turning on comments in the questionnaire).
In case when 'Mobile friendly' display is turned on, you can separately turn off the display of images on mobile phones (if your questionnaire contains pictures that are not suitable for mobile devices) and adjust tables on the mobile phones.
- Why Is It Not Advisable to Copy Text?
- For How Long Is the Survey Saved and for How Long Is It Active?
- How Do I Set That Respondents Skip Certain Questions That Are Inappropriate for Them (Conditions)?
- Which Design Is the Most Suitable for Mobile Devices and Tablets?
- When Exporting the Questionnaire in MS Word the Structure of the Questionnaire Changes
- The Questionnaire Does Not Close (When Clicking the END Button) After Survey Completion
- How Do I Change the Question Type?
- Can I Display Answers in Form of a Selection List?
- Who Can Respond to My Survey?
- Why Is a New Question Always Placed at the Bottom of the Questionnaire and Why Do I Have to Move It up Manually?
- Can I Set the Respondent to Edit His Answers?
- How Do I Clear My Browser’s Cookies?
- How Do I Prevent the Same Respondent From Participating in the Survey Multiple Times?
- Can I Change the Name of the Variable With Predefined Demographic Variables?
- How Do I Detect Logical and Technical Errors in the Questionnaire?
- Why Is the Question Numbering Not in Consecutive Order?
- What About Underage Respondents?
- Can I Change My Existing Email Address to Login to 1KA?
- When Is It Advisable to Use the Question Comments Function?
- How Can the Respondents Continue With the Survey at a Later Date?
- How Do I Customize the Format of the Survey to Be in Line With Our Organization?
- How to Set That a Chosen Website Is Opened to a Respondent After Completing Survey?
- How Do I Change the Font Size in Questions and Answers?
- How Can I Personalize My Survey With a Custom Logo?
- How Can I Use Missing Values in Conditions?
- Where Does Free Help End?
- How Do I Separate Different Sections of the Questionnaire With a Title or Introductory Question
- How Can I Add Another Survey Administrator?
- Are Mobile Surveys Supported by 1KA?
- Can I Create a Table in Which a Respondent Can Choose the Most and the Least Important Answer (Max-Diff Table)?
- Can I Alter the Design of an Individual Survey?
- How Do I Create a One-Click Log-in Confirmation in 1KA?
- Where Can I Change the Language of the Survey and 1KA Application?
- Can I Set a Quota for a Particular Question or Questionnaire (Restrictions on the Number of Respondents)?
- How Long Should My Survey Be?
- Can I Add a New Question After the Survey Is Already Active?
- What Is the Limitation on the Number of Questions and Respondents?
- How Do I Enable Spell Checking?
- My Survey Disappeared
- Can I Modify the Introductory GDPR Question Text?
- Can Standard Words Be Altered?
- Is It Possible to Create Several Different Versions of a Questionnaire, With Each Version Randomly Assigned to a Respondent?
- How Do I Change or Update My Browser?
- Is It Possible to Make a Copy of an Old Survey So That New Respondents Can Answer It?
- Can I Make Changes to a Survey After It Has Been Activated and Published?
- Why Are the Repondent’s Answers Lost in Case of ‘Step by Step Mode’ With Question Type ‘Table’ if Respondent Moves to the Previous Page?
- How to Properly Methodologically Set the Answers ‘Don’t Know’, ‘Invalid’, ‘None of the Above’ and ‘Refused’?
- How Is the Tool Tested?
- How Can I Set the Cell Alignment in the Table?
- Why Is the CAPTCHA Image Not Displayed?
- Can Respondents Save or Print Their Answers?
- How to Set Default Values for Respondents?
- How Do I Quote / Cite the Use of 1KA in My Work?
- What Kind of Customer Support Does 1KA Offer?
- Electronic Signature
- Combined Table
- Edit Response’s Values
- Structuring Questions Into Blocks
- Recommendations for Online Surveys on a Mobile Phone
- Image Type of Question Layout
- Accessibility of Surveys for People With Special Needs
- Additional Settings for the Introduction and Conclusion
- Survey Settings
- Organizing Surveys in Folders
- Creating Respondent Groups
- Tabs in the Questionnaire
- Settings for Exporting PDF/RTF Files With Responses
- Registration Form
- The Double Grid Table
- Setting up a Static First Page (Introduction)
- 1KA Settings for Email Notifications for Completed Surveys and Insight Into the Respondent’s Answers
- Satisficing in the Survey
- How to Repeat the Tittle Bar in a Table
- Survey Preview
- Verification of User’s Attention With the Use of a “Trap” Question
- System Variables in Conditions
- Advanced Questionnaire Editing Settings
- GDPR Survey Settings
- Visual Analogue Scale
- Hiding Answers in Already Active Survey
- Adding Editorial Access on 1ka.arnes.si
- Labelling a Question as Mandatory
- Recommendations for Minimizing Non-response
- Drill-Down: Sequential Filtering of Questions
- Use of the Editor When Editing Questions
- Transferring Values From the Answer of One Question Into the Text of Another Question (Data Piping)
- 'Heatmap' Question
- Display the List of Open Answers in the Survey
- Survey Duration Based on Date or the Number of Responses
- E-mail (Type of Question)
- Disabling the Question for Respondents
- Usage of ‘Location’ Question Type
- Image Hotspot Question Type
- Using the IP Address and Cookies to Control Duplicate Entries
- Granting Access to Helpdesk
- Uploading a File
- 1KA Registration and Login
- Editing Options in the Question Taskbar
- Recommendations for Questionnaire Creation
- Data Display (Settings)
- Export (Survey Archive)
- Placing Answers on Stripe
- Step by Step Mode With Table Question Type
- Set Up of Drag and Drop Question Type
- Key Features That an Advanced User Should Know
- Random Display of Survey Questions (Randomization)
- Inserting Images Into Your Questionnaire
- Default Answer Labels
- Using Library When Creating a Survey
- The Use of Conditions
- Semantic Differential
- 'Take a Picture' Question Type
- Different Ways to Display a Question for the Date
- Settings for Respondent Access: Cookies and Passwords
- Including a Video or Flash Player in Your Survey
- Advanced Adding of Images as an Answer
- Import Text - Copying Text to 1KA
- Option to Hide Radio and Checkbox Buttons Next to Categories
- Standard Demographics
- Text (Type of Question)
- Mobile Survey Adjustments
- Creating Sub-samples: Half of the Respondents Gets One Question, While the Other Half a Different Question
- Insert Numerical Answers With Slider
- Classifying or Ranking
- Measurement and Time Limitations for Responses
- Adding a New Language for the Standard Words
- Changing the Size of Radio and Checkbox Buttons
- Your First Survey
- Inserting Images (3m 23s) [NEW]
- Importing Text Into 1KA (2m 45s) [NEW]
- PDF and RTF Export Settings (3m 32s) [NEW]
- Two-Factor Authentication (2m 13s) [NEW]
- Sequential Filtering of Questions (Drill-Down) (3m 43s) [NEW]
- Transfering Response Value (Data Piping) (2m 23s) [NEW]
- Creating a Quiz (3m 22s) [NEW]
- Creating Groups of Respondents (4m 12s) [NEW]
- Computations (5m 29s) [NEW]
- Entering Completed Questionnaires From Field Surveying (3m 25s) [NEW]
- Comments Settings (3m 19s) [NEW]
- Multilingual Survey (4m 13s) [NEW]
- Loop (3m 48s) [NEW]
- GDPR Survey Settings (3M 43S) [NEW]
- Simple Survey (5m 25s) [NEW]
- Survey Design (4M 54S) [NEW]
- 1KA Library Use (2m 52s) [NEW]
- Standard Words Adjusting (2M 32S) [NEW]
- Copying the Survey (1m 39s) [NEW]
- Basic Use of Conditions (3m) [NEW]
- Survey Testing (5m 20s) [NEW]
- Structuring Questionnaire Into Blocks (5M 14S) [NEW]
- 1KA Survey Import (1m 56s) [NEW]