I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
Exporting data to SPPS works correctly if we follow the instructions closely.
1. Issues due to the character encoding settings
With some versions of the programme (most commonly version 18), difficulties may arise: the command is not executed and the following error is displayed:
If this is the case, close all SPSS files and re-open the syntax. In the upper left-hand corner of the syntax section, click 'EDIT' - 'OPTIONS' - 'LANGUAGE'. In this window you will find 'Character Encoding for Data and Syntax' and choose the 'UNICODE' option.
2. Unsuccessful SPSS database generating if the data and syntax files are not located in their default location
Look for the DATA LIST row in the open syntax file. To connect the syntax to the data, instead of entering 'C:\', enter the location of the file that contains the data (example: if we saved our data in the Transfers file within My Documents, we enter DATA LIST FILE=''C:\My Documents\Transfers\survey_data.txt'').
We can locate the exact location of the data file in the following way: open Windows Explorer, right click on the data file in the menu and select Properties – Location, and enter its location in place of 'C:\'.
In case of any complications (eg- complex surveys with conditions, old versions of SPSS) we recommend you export data into Excel and then import it into SPSS. In this case you will have to define variables yourself.
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- How is the tool tested?
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- Where does free help end?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- What about underage respondents?
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- Data updates (file vs. database)
- Export to text file
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- Insight into the respondents' answers
- Export to SPSS
- Merging data
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Automatic coding
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Manual coding
- Adding data (append)
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- 1KA registration and login
- Computed values
- Your first survey
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Export to Excel