I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
Exporting data to SPPS works correctly if we follow the instructions closely.
1. Issues due to the character encoding settings
With some versions of the programme (most commonly version 18), difficulties may arise: the command is not executed and the following error is displayed:
If this is the case, close all SPSS files and re-open the syntax. In the upper left-hand corner of the syntax section, click 'EDIT' - 'OPTIONS' - 'LANGUAGE'. In this window you will find 'Character Encoding for Data and Syntax' and choose the 'UNICODE' option.
2. Unsuccessful SPSS database generating if the data and syntax files are not located in their default location
Look for the DATA LIST row in the open syntax file. To connect the syntax to the data, instead of entering 'C:\', enter the location of the file that contains the data (example: if we saved our data in the Transfers file within My Documents, we enter DATA LIST FILE=''C:\My Documents\Transfers\survey_data.txt'').
We can locate the exact location of the data file in the following way: open Windows Explorer, right click on the data file in the menu and select Properties – Location, and enter its location in place of 'C:\'.
In case of any complications (eg- complex surveys with conditions, old versions of SPSS) we recommend you export data into Excel and then import it into SPSS. In this case you will have to define variables yourself.
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- Where does free help end?
- How is the tool tested?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- What about underage respondents?
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- Merging data
- Data updates (file vs. database)
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Automatic coding
- Export to SPSS
- Computed values
- Export to text file
- Manual coding
- Export to Excel
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Adding data (append)
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- Your first survey
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- 1KA registration and login
- Insight into the respondents' answers