I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
Exporting data to SPPS works correctly if we follow the instructions closely.
1. Issues due to the character encoding settings
With some versions of the programme (most commonly version 18), difficulties may arise: the command is not executed and the following error is displayed:
If this is the case, close all SPSS files and re-open the syntax. In the upper left-hand corner of the syntax section, click 'EDIT' - 'OPTIONS' - 'LANGUAGE'. In this window you will find 'Character Encoding for Data and Syntax' and choose the 'UNICODE' option.
2. Unsuccessful SPSS database generating if the data and syntax files are not located in their default location
Look for the DATA LIST row in the open syntax file. To connect the syntax to the data, instead of entering 'C:\', enter the location of the file that contains the data (example: if we saved our data in the Transfers file within My Documents, we enter DATA LIST FILE=''C:\My Documents\Transfers\survey_data.txt'').
We can locate the exact location of the data file in the following way: open Windows Explorer, right click on the data file in the menu and select Properties – Location, and enter its location in place of 'C:\'.
In case of any complications (eg- complex surveys with conditions, old versions of SPSS) we recommend you export data into Excel and then import it into SPSS. In this case you will have to define variables yourself.
- What about underage respondents?
- Export to Excel: Why does a warning window always pop up when I'm exporting the file to Excel?
- Export to Excel: Why is the numeric variable exported as a 'string' or text?
- How to properly methodologically set the answers 'Don’t know', 'Invalid', 'None of the above' and 'Refused'?
- Where does free help end?
- What is the limitation on the number of questions and respondents?
- Can I export only a certain set of variables (and not all of them)?
- How do I remove the test units from the data?
- How do I quote / cite the use of 1KA in my work?
- What is the difference between a computed value and a computation?
- Why are the repondent's answers lost in case of 'step by step mode' with question type 'table' if respondent moves to the previous page?
- Can I make changes to a survey after it has been activated and published?
- What kind of customer support does 1KA offer?
- Why can't I select 'All units' when overviewing data?
- Is the survey saved if the respondent does not answer a certain question?
- Can I exclude unfinished questionnaires from survey data?
- What is the difference between coding and recoding?
- How do I change or update my browser?
- Why is the question numbering not in consecutive order?
- How do I clear my browser's cookies?
- Export to Excel: Why are answers incomplete when I export the data to Excel?
- What do negative values in the survey data mean and where can I set them?
- How to edit answers within the data?
- Viewing respondents' answers: how to view them in questionnaire form (instead of a table)?
- Is the data deleted from 1KA after I export it?
- How is the tool tested?
- How can I find a specific record in the data (respondents answers)?
- I am experiencing difficulties when exporting my data to SPSS
- How to obtain data on individual surveys from the summary (sums)?
- Can I restore data I accidentally deleted?
- How can I create a quick list of responses?
- Why did several respondents from the same IP address fulfilled the survey?
- How safe is it to store data on 1KA?
- How do I delete the answers of one or more respondents from the data table?
- Are mobile surveys supported by 1KA?
- Why are some of my data missing?
- Database data is demolished, values are not correct or there is no data.
- I am not sure if all units are included in the analysis
- Export to text file
- Export to Excel
- Public URL to view data and analysis
- Your first survey
- Manual coding
- Settings for exporting PDF/RTF files with responses
- Export to SPSS
- Status of units, relevance, validity and missing values
- Adding data (append)
- Computed values
- 1KA registration and login
- Survey data, paradata, identifiers, and system variables
- Recommendations for minimizing non-response
- Granting access to helpdesk
- Measurement and time limitations for responses
- Automatic coding
- Merging data
- Insight into the respondents' answers
- Data updates (file vs. database)